Wednesday 7 April 2010

Wiki

My first and so far only experience of Wiki, is Wikipedia which I use all the time... to find out what a word means, to learn about a place or even to find out the plot of a film (to read what happened at the end of a film that I had fallen asleep through!!).

I did register with the C&RD wet paint when it first came out but must admit, I see the weekly email that comes round- but rarely really understand what it is trying to show or tell me!

Having looked at the 'socialouls' page, I couldnt believe how many web 2.0 technologies some of the Bodleian libraries are using! some of them, i had not even heard of (maybe this will come when we get to do '23 things- the sequel!!')

I didnt edit any thing- and just wonder- how would people see my contributions if I had... what if there was no body out there- my thoughts would disappear in to a wiki black hole. Do they automatically go to people who have registered with the wiki, or do they just sit there, ready and waiting...

Think I would get a lot more out of Wiki's in the future- to read about other Bodleian libraries and catch up with what they are up too...

1 comment:

  1. The great thing about wikis is that as soon as you edit a page, your changes show up. This is why the history tracking feature is so important, and also wikis usually have moderators who are alerted to changes in case of vandalism.

    ReplyDelete